Which to trust: chkrootkit or rkhunter?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 17:44:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 03:16:09PM +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> 	One tells me, on several machines, that /sbin/init is infected
> with the Suckit rootkit; the other says not. Is there a way to tell
> whether I'm seeing a false positive or a false negative?
>
> 	Fwiw, this result occurs both on an F16 machine, and on an f17
> one with a fresh install. (Both are fully updated.)

If you do an 'rpm -V systemd' and you don't see any result for
/sbin/init or /lib/systemd/systemd, my bet would be false positive.
-V means verify: compares the checksums of the files belonging to that
package with what's registered in the RPM database, and alerts for
changes ("5" in the output IIRC).