Backup for server

Andy Campbell andycampbell.uk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 01:11:31 UTC 2012

> On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 13:11 +0300, Alan Holt wrote:
>> My boss doesn't want it =( Don't know what to say.. He is a boss. So
>> that's
>> why I am looking for something else.
>
> Tell him you found this great utility called rsnapshot that does
> everything he wants. Don't tell him it's a wrapper round rsync.

On that topic, another great solution is rdiff-backup.
http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

Yes, this is based on rsync, but it has some very nice additions, so
your boss might approve
:: easy to deploy - available in the standard Fedora repo, no need for
a server, just one standard package on each box
:: backup remote servers with a 1 line command (assuming you have SSL
key authentication configured)
:: can easily run through SSL, for example, if you need to backup over
the internet
:: uses rsync as a transport, so it's pretty fast (it only sends
changes over the network)
:: wraps rsync to add extra features, including tracking of
differentials on every backup
:: so your backup filesystem will contain a complete mirror of what
you backed up, not an archive.  This means you can easily login to the
backup server and simply browse/copy files direct out of the last
backup (no need to extract individual files, just browse, view, copy,
directly), OR, you can roll a file back to previous dates, such as
"restore this file to how it was 15 days ago"
:: it works great