eject command fails to eject cd

Steven P. Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 02:24:32 UTC 2012

On 06/07/2012 05:49 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/08/2012 05:54 AM, JD wrote:
>> the eject command in f16 says
>> # eject
>> eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'
>>
>> f16 has no cdrom or dvd entry in /dev,
>> so after each boot I have to manually
>> create the symlink to sr0.
>>
>> Is there a way to make the symlinks permanent in /dev?
>>

> Do you happen to have a /dev/cdrom1?
>
> What are the contents of, or do you have, the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
>
> file?

Hello, Everyone
I have had a situation for quite a while now that is somewhat like this,
but with one interesting wrinkle: sometimes (not always) the eject
button on the DVD drive itself does not work.  I have to run "eject"
from a terminal to get the drive to open...  SOMETIMES I have to run
"eject cdrom", "eject sr0" or "eject scd0" just to get the drawer open.
  Sometimes, the "eject" command just exits immediately without any
error.  The thing that I do to get the "eject" command to finally open
the DVD drive drawer is to physically push the eject button on the drive
itself and THEN re-run the "eject" command.

Also, I do NOT have "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules"

I am running Fedora 17 (fresh install, not an upgrade) fully updated,
with KDE as my desktop.

Steven P. Ulrick