Backup for server

Lionel Montrieux lionel at montrieux.eu
Fri Jun 8 09:08:22 UTC 2012

On 07/06/12 13:58, Richard Shaw wrote:
> [...]
> I use BackupPC (available in the main repos) at home and have also set
> it up in a business environment as a contractor. There is some front
> end setup but it works quite well and uses a web interface.
>
> You can use rsync, tar, or smb as backup methods. I'm not sure what
> your boss has against rsync but with backup PC it's all done over an
> SSH tunnel so it's just as secure as any other method.

I also use BackupPC, for my own servers as well as a few customers'.
It's easy to configure and has worked perfectly well for several years
now, including a few emergency restores when a customer did use 'rm' a
bit too liberally. Customers (and myself) love the web interface, that
allows you to configure the backup settings, browse backups, and
initiate restoration of individual files or entire directories.

BackupPC also features pooling, making sure that if a file has been
backed up, a copy will not be created if it is backed up again from
somewhere else. Great storage space saving strategy.

The only downside I can see is the lack of encryption support.

Hope that helps.

Lionel

--
Lionel Montrieux