Atheros Ethernet controller with Fedora 17?

Michael Hannon jm_hannon at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 00:59:37 UTC 2012

Greetings.  As I mentioned in a previous note, I've got a new, HP desktop
system that came with Windows 7 installed.

My plan for this system was to install Fedora 17 on the second disk drive,
then create a virtual machine that used the physical Windows partition as its
hard drive.

I had trouble with the video card during installation, but a suggestion from
Ed Greshko got me around that (thanks, Ed).

I also had trouble with the partitioning scheme on this UEFI system.  After a
good bit of fiddling around, I finally have (a) Fedora 17 installed on the
second drive, with (b) the Windows partition still intact and functioning.

Aside from all the time wasted, this seems like a pretty good state of
affairs.  The rub is that I have no networking under Fedora.

The system has two network adapters, wired and wireless:

    Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet controller (wired, of course)

    Ralink Dual Stream 802.11n (wireless)

I'd really like to get the Atheros (wired) controller working, but I'd settle
for either one at this point.

It appears that Qualcomm/Atheros doesn't have much love for linux.  Likewise,
the sites that turn up in a web search seem to have drivers exclusively for
Windows.

Is there any hope?  Fedora 18?  New network card?  I know I should have
checked before I bought, but I've done this Windows/Fedora thing on a number

of HP boxes in the past and never had any problems.

Thanks.

-- Mike