Password issues

john maclean jayeola.list.mail at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 05:39:27 UTC 2012

On 06/09/2012 06:21 AM, Roelof 'Ben' Kusters wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> Just a rant, nothing more. I know the solution.
>
> I like Linux (Fedora in particular) because my computer doesn't tell
> me what I can and can not do - I tell the computer what to do.
>
> Today, I decide to change my own user password into something that's
> easier to type (through the settings -> user accounts dialogue).
> Lovely feature has this thing; I want to set on my own computer a
> password of my liking, and I am in charge of that, okay? Stupid machine!
>
> "Error: The password is too simple, please choose another one!"
>
> Well fark me! Me not liking that at all. This computer holds few
> important things, this computer is under lock and key - it's harder to
> get to it than to crack a decent password so why the fark would I want
> a difficult password???
> I understand the rationale behind this error message, but I don't
> believe it's the government's duty to protect the stupid from harm. If
> you willingly go against all common sense and die, well - it's your
> own stupid farking fault. And so I don't believe the dev's of Fedora,
> or Gnome, or anyone else is responsible for people dumb enough to
> stick an easy to guess password in their bank account. If I lose my
> money because my password is too easy to hack, there's nobody to blame
> but me.
> Advice is great; thank you ("Users and Groups" dialogue) for warning
> me that my password is too weak - do you really want to take that
> risk? Yes, please - my own responsibility.
>
> Anyway, there is an easy workaround. And this is the first thing I
> encounter in F17 that irks me. For the rest - I absolutely adore it.
> Love it. Great. Everything is getting better all the time.Thank you
> for this great OS, with a feature built in to protect people who are
> too stupid to own a computer.
> I mean, if you're smart enough to step away from Windoze and are able
> to familiarize yourself with any flavour of Linux, I'm certain you've
> heard of clever passwords. If I wanted a nanny, I'd get a sexy one -
> not a digital one.
>
> Thank you for reading. Have a good day.

You can always ignore the warning.

Let's give this new user a password of "1234"

[jayeola at x40 ~]$ sudo su -
[root at x40 ~]# adduser somedude
[root at x40 ~]# passwd somedude
Changing password for user somedude.
New password:
BAD PASSWORD: The password fails the dictionary check - it is too short
Retype new password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.