SSHD failing on restart

Andrew Gray andrewg at linnetsol.co.uk
Sat Jun 9 12:53:38 UTC 2012

Hi

the sshd.service is enabled and is shown starting at the bottom of
"boot.log" but "secure" show it failing to bind to the PC IP address !

> [^[[1;32m  OK  ^[[0m] Started OpenSSH server daemon.
> [^[[1;32m  OK  ^[[0m] Started Samba SMB Daemon.
>          Starting CUPS Printing Service...
> [^[[1;32m  OK  ^[[0m] Started CUPS Printing Service.
> [^[[1;32m  OK  ^[[0m] Started Sendmail Mail Transport Agent.
>          Starting Sendmail Mail Transport Client...
>          Starting Daemon for managing, installing and generating color profiles...

/var/log/secure shows it can't bind:-

> linuxmail sshd[804]: error: Bind to port 22 on 192.168.191.9 failed: Cannot assign requested address.
> linuxmail sshd[804]: fatal: Cannot bind any address.

/var/log/messages shows it exiting ?:-

> linuxmail systemd[1]: sshd.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255
> linuxmail systemd[1]: Unit sshd.service entered failed state.

Yet when I login I can restart sshd.service and it will bind to port 22 on 192.168.191.9 and keeps running.

No firewall is running and selinux is in permissive mode
It is not the fastest machine Atlon 1200+ 1GB RAM
Kernel 3.4.0-1.fc17.i686 #1 SMP

Its my backup server and I need sshd running if it was remote I would be scuppered !

Why is it failing to bind to the IP address on startup ?

--
Andrew Gray <andrewg at linnetsol.co.uk>
Linnet Solutions Ltd