Password issues

William Brown william at firstyear.id.au
Sun Jun 10 11:55:34 UTC 2012

On 10/06/12 07:22, Andre Robatino wrote:
> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Andre Robatino
>> <robatino <at> fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> I also noticed that doing it graphically required me to
>>> enter the root password first, which isn't (and shouldn't be) necessary when
>>> doing it via the passwd command.
>>
>> The root password is required to add a user. The "sudo su -" in John's
>> example takes care of that. However if you are changing your own
>> password, then it is not required.
>
> You're right. On rechecking I found that changing my Password or Language
> graphically on "User Accounts" doesn't actually require the page to be
> "unlocked" (which would require root), but adding another user account, or
> changing "Account type" or "Automatic Login", do.

You only need to root to ignore the bad passwd warning. If your run
passwd as your own user, a "BAD" password, will deny the change, and ask
you to create a better password. When you run as root, it is implied
that you *really* want to set a "BAD" password, and that you accept the
consquences.

--
Sincerely,

William Brown