Password issues

William Brown william at firstyear.id.au
Sun Jun 10 13:35:14 UTC 2012

> I'm still seeing an inconsistency between command-line and graphical. Running
> passwd as root, I can make my ordinary user password arbitrarily short (except
> for an empty password which fails with the error "passwd: Authentication token
> manipulation error" after entering it twice). With System Settings->User
> Accounts, it won't allow a password shorter than 6 characters even if the page
> is unlocked using root. (The password behavior appears identical whether or not
> the page is unlocked.)

If you run passwd as your own user, compared to passwd as root changing
your user password, you will see that running passwd as your own user
will result in the same result as running the password change from
System Settings (You recieve a passwd is too short message). The only
time you can avoid the "password to short" message, is when running
passwd as root.

--
Sincerely,

William Brown