16 -> 17 = No HDMI [RESOLVED]

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jun 11 04:39:59 UTC 2012

On 06/11/2012 12:15 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> On 06/11/2012 12:02 PM, Fedora User wrote:
>>> I had also discovered some difficulty with mplayer. That, too, is
>>> resolved with the correct driver. I'll wager that there are a number of
>>> people who have the wrong driver installed and don't even know it - yet.
>>
>> You may also want to run
>>
>> yum distro-sync
>>
>> and even....
>>
>> rpm -qa | grep fc16
>>
>> to see what, if any, F16 packages may be lingering around.
>
> Be careful, Mort.
> 'Tis my understanding that some packages are supposed to linger.
> Don't remove them until you know you can replace them.

Caution is always advisable, of course.  But could you name one package that is known
to linger or needs to be left untouched?

My fresh install of f17 has no f16 packages.  AFAIK, the only f16 packages that would
be left over after an upgrade would be either one of these conditions...

1.  An f16 package that is no longer part of f17 but not specifically removed by the
upgrade process.

2.  A package supplied in F17 but not changed/recompiled to be known as fc17.

I have only found two...that fit #2....after a cursory look in the repos.

aplus-fsf-KAPL-fonts-4.22.4-21.fc16.noarch.rpm
google-gson-1.7.1-3.fc16.noarch.rpm

Certainly there should be no duplicates as we see in the case of "The Ghost in the
Machine" thread.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage