bug on fedora 17: login screen doesn't show up

Reinhard Sy sterntaler.10 at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 11 07:37:19 UTC 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 06.06.2012, 10:32 -0500 schrieb Jeff Gipson:

> On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 10:24:23PM +0800, Fajrian Yunus wrote:
> >hi all,
> >
> >asking for help. whenever i start my computer, by the time i (supposedly)
> >reach the login screen, i'm only shown the background image, WITHOUT the
> >login box. i can see the background image (fireworks image), i can see my
> >mouse cursor, and i can move my mouse around. but the login box is nowhere
> >to be found. HOWEVER, if i make my computer sleep, then turn it on again,
> >immediately the login box shows up and i can login without problem. i
> >reinstalled my fedora 17, it's still like this. interestingly, when i
> >install my fedora 17 as virtual machine (i use kvm), the problem doesn't
> >show up at all.
> >
> >any help is appreciated.
> >
> >thank you :D
>
> 	### End of Message from Fajrian Yunus ###
>
> This is *similar* to an issue I'm having (or had) with F16 and F17, and
> possible related. I get the login (GDM, I suppose) fine, but after
> entering my password, the login dialog disappears and I'm left with the
> fireworks background as well. No session starts. I have to kill X to get
> back out. I had to resort to using the multiuser.target and running
> startx. I've updated the OS via yum since the initial F17 upgrade, and
> reset the default.target to graphical.target, and haven't had the
> problem recur, but I'm not confident that the problem won't resurface.

Hello ,
this similar to my issue - I am using F16  a Dell Laptop (Precision
M4500)  connected to the docking station and one external monitor. If I
am booting kernel kernel-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64 all works fine.
but if I boot kernel-3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64 or kernel-3.3.6-3.fc16.x86_64 I
do not see the Login Box.

Reinhard