thinking about new laptop

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jun 11 11:42:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 07:03:15 -0400
Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently have hp dv9000 17" used as desktop replacement.  I'm thinking about
> buying something new (not hp this time).  Should I worry about linux
> compatibility, or are those issues pretty much resolved now?
>
> I guess graphics chipset is the biggest issue.  I don't expect to need 3D
> performance, but want decent 2D.

That can all be the same thing on some newer devices. The 2D is done via
the 3D engine.

I think the issues are rather more resolved than they were, on x86 at
least. The Intel driver covers all the main Intel devices (but avoid
'cedartrail' systems if you want accelerated graphics. They have an
Imagination derived graphics core without proper Linux support). The AMD
driver covers must stuff and Nouveau is getting better and better.

In all cases the very latest stuff may not have full support or be a bit
more buggy so that is worth checking.

Alan