thinking about new laptop

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 11 15:45:26 UTC 2012

On 06/11/2012 12:03 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> Currently have hp dv9000 17" used as desktop replacement.  I'm thinking about
> buying something new (not hp this time).  Should I worry about linux
> compatibility, or are those issues pretty much resolved now?
>
> I guess graphics chipset is the biggest issue.  I don't expect to need 3D
> performance, but want decent 2D.
>
> Any suggestions?

Well, currently nVidia optimus solutions are not supported by nVidia, or
very well elsewhere in the Linux world. So you'd not be able to take
advantage of the nVidia graphics  It was with that in mind that I opted
for a AMD E350 APU netbook, only to find the catalyst drivers from AMD
are not supported with the 3.4 Kernel Hopefully this will be rectified
soon, as they are an improvement on the free Gallium drivers, as
experienced with earlier versions of the kernel. Most other hardware
appears to be well supported in Fedora 17, and I expect it's the same
for other Linux distros. Lastly I've found my netbook to be far more
portable than my previous 17" laptop which also suffered from no hybrid
graphics support in Linux.

All the best with whatever you choose.

cpp4ever