kill a dead process

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Mon Jun 11 17:39:49 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I bought a Memorex external CD/DVD + SDHC but the CD/DVD part works once
and becomes unresponsive.  I've tried opening and reinserting the media
but nothing seems to happen, but iIt appears that each time I did that
it spawned another process.  Even the "eject" command hangs.

On inspection I found some processes using "ps -ax" that are marked with
the status "D".  The man page says that indicates an uninterruptable sleep.

Is there any way to kill these short of a reboot?  (Feels soooo M$).

TIA,
Mike Wright