Install 17 to a dinosaur

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 18:14:17 UTC 2012

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 15:15:54 -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> I don't know how old your machine is, but I had no trouble installing
> F17 onto a nine-year-old Dell Precision 650. I started with a live LXDE
> CD spin (booted from the only USB port that allows for booting) and was
> running fine within a couple of minutes or three.

	I don't know either for sure. But it was news to me That it might
boot from the same drive on one port and not another. So I tried that.

	I have no idea why, but the DVD for the full F17 gave me a
choice, right at the outset, between running and installing. I took the
latter, but didn't get the usual choices about customizing. When I
rebooted, it stalled on the monitor error before it got to firstboot.

	This morning I tried again with the live CD (in the same external
drive). This time it got clear through firstboot. But again it hit that
snag before it got to any way I know of to deal with it directly.

	Considerably later, about to try getting into it from another
machine on my LAN, I hit its KVM switch button -- and there it was,
waiting for me to log in. I don't know how it got there, but it did.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User