Changing MB and CPU - reinstall of Fedora needed?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jun 11 22:54:13 UTC 2012

Christopher Svanefalk writes:

> I will be moving from an AMD FX-8120 to an Intel i7 3930K, which of course
> means I will be changing my motherboard as well. All other relevant system
> components will stay the same (including the HDD and any data on it).
>
> I just wondered if Fedora can accomodate the new hardware directly, or if
> there are any procedures I should go through after booting again? Could a
> reinstall be needed? I am guessing I will not have a problem booting, since
> Grub is installed on the MBR of the drive, and I believe the new MB will
> search this first for a bootloader.

The situations where anything really needs to be done, are extremely rare.
99% of the time, the kernel will boot just fine. The only likely confusion
would be post-boot, with network interfaces changing. Perhaps audio will get
confused.

I did something like this ~10 years ago, or so. While Windows was utterly
baffled by the experience, Linux just yawned as if nothing out of the
ordinarily happened. Would be surprised if it's any different now.

The only good thing to have is a rescue disk, so you can boot into rescue
mode, and be able to chroot and rebuild your initrd easily, in the very
unlikely event that will be necessary.