xfce desktop - no thumbnails of jpg files

Jayson Rowe jayson.rowe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 00:44:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> I switched to an XFCE desktop. I have jpg files on my desktop. Gnome
> displayed a small thumbnail of each image, as its icon. XFCE shows the same,
> generic icon for a jpg file.
>
> Can XFCE's desktop also display thumbnails as image files' icon? Googling
> around did not enlight me. If I manually open XFCE's file manager and browse
> the desktop, the file manager does display each jpg's thumbnail; but not on
> the desktop.
>

> --

Hi Sam,
XFCE 4.8 which is included in Fedora 17 does *not* support this,
however it is a new feature in the Desktop Manager (xfdesktop) in XFCE
4.10. Although unsupported Kevin Fenzi has a repo set up for 4.10
(although there is a broken package at the moment...read about it
here: http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/xfce/2012-May/001194.html).

You can find the repo at:
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/kevin/xfce-4.10/ (just download
the .repo file to your /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory). Also this is
unsupported, so you are upgrading at your own risk. I have installed
4.10 on one of my machines (by using --skip-broken) and it's running
great.

--
-jayson