Fedora 17 - CPU Fan Speed

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Tue Jun 12 17:52:08 UTC 2012

I've just installed Fedora 17 (x86_64) on my Dell XPS 8300 with Intel
Core i7-2600 and I noticed a very strange behavior: CPU and/or
motherboard fans are constantly working at very high speed which makes a
lot of noise (fan speed is at the same level it was right after powering
on).

I previously had Ubuntu 12.xx and Debian 6 installed and no such fault
was present. Is it really something so advanced to have the ability to
reduce fan speed that Fedora devels are unable to accomplish in default
installation of stable system release?

I imagine, I have to download and install some additional packages or
even patch and recompile the kernel but I can't find any info about this
on the Internet. I'd be grateful if anyone could help me or point me to
some solution before my fan breaks down prematurely.

Mateusz Marzantowicz