Smolt (was Re: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Fedora)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jun 12 21:40:54 UTC 2012

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:23:57 -0700
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve Searle <steve at stevesearle.com> writes:
> > Around 11:05pm on Monday, June 11, 2012 (UK time), Wolfgang
> > S. Rupprecht scrawled:
> >
> >> Sadly, before Fedora Smolt went down, it still showed more 32-bit
> >> than 64-bit installs.  Fedora doesn't do enough to encourage
> >> everyone that
> >
> > I don't think its down:
> > http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/static/stats/stats.html
>
> Ah, I see it is up again.  Last time I wanted to check something it
> was down for at least several hours.  That, coupled with the note
> that it had about not being updated any more led me to believe it was
> down for the count.
>
> Anyone know what the story with Smolt is?  Why was the data processing
> stopped before a replacement was up and running?

Upstream developers of smolt have all wandered off to other things, and
there's no one left on the Fedora Infrastructure team that knows all
the ins and outs of it and has desire to expand on it or revive it.
One of our very good developers spent several days trying to get the
query above working without much luck. ;(

The last release was 17 months ago.

I'd suggest working with folks working on census if you have interest
in this area.

kevin