Fedora 17 - CPU Fan Speed

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Wed Jun 13 12:43:18 UTC 2012

On 13.06.2012 09:04, agraham wrote:
> On 06/12/2012 06:52 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>> I've just installed Fedora 17 (x86_64) on my Dell XPS 8300 with Intel
>> Core i7-2600 and I noticed a very strange behavior: CPU and/or
>> motherboard fans are constantly working at very high speed which makes a
>> lot of noise (fan speed is at the same level it was right after powering
>> on).
>>
>> I previously had Ubuntu 12.xx and Debian 6 installed and no such fault
>> was present. Is it really something so advanced to have the ability to
>> reduce fan speed that Fedora devels are unable to accomplish in default
>> installation of stable system release?
>>
>> I imagine, I have to download and install some additional packages or
>> even patch and recompile the kernel but I can't find any info about this
>> on the Internet. I'd be grateful if anyone could help me or point me to
>> some solution before my fan breaks down prematurely.
>>

>> Mateusz Marzantowicz
>
> There may be processes running that you don't need that are consuming
> CPU or even some process hogging the CPU.
>
> You may have some control of fan speed via the BIOS, not sure, also see:
> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19368332/19836135.aspx
>

> Albert.

Thanks for the reply. I'm now trying to identify which fan is noisy. The
problem is that I already have latest BIOS update installed and week ago
on Ubuntu 12.04 I had no such problem with fans going to fast. My load
avg is 2.0 at max (3 kvms running but not so busy) and long term CPU
utilization is below 5%-10%. The only difference is that previously I
had AMD Catalyst driver installed for Radeon HD 5750 and now I'm using
the default Open Source driver, so I'll be investigating graphics at
first. I also noticed that video card is warmer than other parts of my
set but it might be a false alarm. Thanks anyway for the reply.

Mateusz Marzantowicz