NetworkManager and bridge support

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Wed Jun 13 14:49:34 UTC 2012

On 13.06.2012 16:06, David Mansfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Fedora 17, according to:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NMEnterpriseNetworking
>
> we should have bridge support in NetworkManager.  But I can't see any
> reference other than this, and it appears to be not working.
>
> 1. There's nothing in the GUI
> 2. There's nothing in the cli
> 3. Having configured a bridge using ifcfg scripts, NetworkManager now
> says I'm offline, and the state of "p4p1" is "unmanaged"
>
> Is there an additional package that needs to be installed to get this
> support working, like a plugin or something?
>
> I need a bridge so my libvirt/qemu/kvm VM can be a host on my LAN.

Don't waste your time. If it isn't simple enough to just do it don't
bother. You'd better disable/uninstall Network Manager service, enable
plain old networking and configure bridge in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. I did this that way and I'm very happy
right now. Someday you'll see a big button labeled "configure bridged
networking" in Network Manager GUI.

Mateusz Marzantowicz