boot without ramdisk

Jinze Xue xuejinze at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 01:54:16 UTC 2012

hello

I want to boot linux without ramdisk.

The purpose not using ramdisk is to speed up the boot time of my computer
while
Load the ramdisk used about 15s in my computer.

The system have start up successfully, but there are some problems:

I have boot my system by add
root=/dev/sda2
fastboot
read-write to /boot/silo.conf

root=/dev/sda2 is bad on multi-disk servers, so I want to know is there any
way
possible to use uuid as the root device when ramdisk is no used?

use read-write is because the /sbin/init in userspace filesystem can't run
successful
when the filesystem is mounted readonly. but in a system with ramdisk, the
root
filesystem is mounted read only when init, why can't mine?
as i know, the ramdisk is died after the switch_root program run.

use fastboot is to skip the fsck, because run fsck on a mounted filesystem
is bad. but no fsck is not good, I really want to know how does the system
check the filesystem exactly after the filesystem is mounted.

sometimes boot error:
ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
ata1.00: failed to IDENTYFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
ata1: SATAlink up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 0)

any help?
thanks!