Modem manager is bugging me

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jun 14 03:26:08 UTC 2012

On 06/14/2012 11:12 AM, John Wendel wrote:
> Sorry for the lack of detail in the original post.
>
> The system is running F17 with Gnome. Modem manager is a process that gets loaded
> by network manager. In /var/log/messages, I see modem manager and  a bunch of
> plugins (with modem names) being loaded by network manager.  I don't know if it
> consumes any resources (except memory) since I don't have a modem for it to manage,
> but I want it to go away.
>
> Nwtwork manager is also loading a bunch of wireless networking modules, which I
> also don't have, but I bitch about that in another post.

I see....  I also see I misspoke in saying ModemManager was part of KDE.

At this point I don't know if there is a clean way to prevent what you are seeing.  I
guess I don't go looking for these types of things very often.  Sometimes the cure is
worse than the cause.  :-)

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage