Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Thu Jun 14 07:46:28 UTC 2012

On 14.06.2012 08:42, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 14:35 +0930, Tim wrote:
>> It *is* a *basic* thing.  Are they purely aiming at a server market?
>> Home users *do* turn their PCs off.
> How difficult is pressing the alt button?
>
> I don't understand what the cribbing is all about really:
>
> 1. press alt button
> 2. install the extension
> 3. if you use a terminal: "poweroff" works there
> 4. use a different DE
> 5. use windows/mac
>
> Any of the above solutions will work. To avoid pressing one alt button I
> see folks typing emails discussing how difficult it is to press the alt
> button? Doesn't that require pressing more keys? So, since it isn't
> efficiency you're after, what is it?

You must be kidding or you are a masochist. It is idiotic to force users
to know the magical commands to turn off the computer! On my desktop,
yes - I can hold <Alt> and even 10 other keys only to change menu item
and power off. But it's really annoying on laptops when I have to
quickly switch them off and I do this 3 or 4 times a day. I do not have
to mention that it isn't written anywhere (besides the GNOME docs maybe)
so users get frustrated when they search for "power off" button. It's
very basic functionality and it shouldn't be hidden from anyone nor
should require additional steps from the user. Finally, tell my why
should I run terminal just to power of my computer? Maybe you propose
that I install and run chain of 10 other apps to shutdown the computer? LOL

Mateusz Marzantowicz