Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 09:32:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 09:46 +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> You must be kidding or you are a masochist. It is idiotic to force
> users to know the magical commands to turn off the computer! On my
> desktop, yes - I can hold <Alt> and even 10 other keys only to change
> menu item and power off. But it's really annoying on laptops when I
> have to quickly switch them off and I do this 3 or 4 times a day. I do
> not have to mention that it isn't written anywhere (besides the GNOME
> docs maybe) so users get frustrated when they search for "power off"
> button. It's very basic functionality and it shouldn't be hidden from
> anyone nor should require additional steps from the user.

Neither am I kidding, nor am I a masochist. I just don't like random
folks venting on mailing lists. If you haven't learnt yet, venting does
nothing. It doesn't bring any changes. All it does is waste infra.

Like N number of people have already written: Install the extension, no
more alt required. From F18, you'll have your poweroff back. In the
meantime, if alt is too much, and installing an extension one time is
too much, use something else. Move to another DE.

> Finally, tell my why should I run terminal just to power of my
> computer? Maybe you propose that I install and run chain of 10 other
> apps to shutdown the computer? LOL
>

> 3. if you use a terminal: "poweroff" works there

ER: "if"? That used to mean something..

What I'm suggesting is that you move to Windows/Mac if no DE in Linux
works for you. I'm sure you won't fork a DE to customize for yourself if
you can't install an extension or use alt. LOL.
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Please only print if necessary.