Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Thu Jun 14 10:50:16 UTC 2012

On 14.06.2012 11:32, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 09:46 +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>> You must be kidding or you are a masochist. It is idiotic to force
>> users to know the magical commands to turn off the computer! On my
>> desktop, yes - I can hold <Alt> and even 10 other keys only to change
>> menu item and power off. But it's really annoying on laptops when I
>> have to quickly switch them off and I do this 3 or 4 times a day. I do
>> not have to mention that it isn't written anywhere (besides the GNOME
>> docs maybe) so users get frustrated when they search for "power off"
>> button. It's very basic functionality and it shouldn't be hidden from
>> anyone nor should require additional steps from the user.
>
> Neither am I kidding, nor am I a masochist. I just don't like random
> folks venting on mailing lists. If you haven't learnt yet, venting does
> nothing. It doesn't bring any changes. All it does is waste infra.

As you already know it does. This stupidity in GNOME is changed in next
releases so each voice from frustrated users is important. It is the way
wrong things can be heard and repaired.

> Like N number of people have already written: Install the extension, no
> more alt required. From F18, you'll have your poweroff back. In the
> meantime, if alt is too much, and installing an extension one time is
> too much, use something else. Move to another DE.

I can install 100 extensions, I can even write them myself. But do I
really have to, just to be able to power off my computer? It's not an
advanced and uncommon functionality for Linux power users - it is a core
feature of every DE to let their users power off the computer without
thinking much how to do it. GNOME puts a lot of stress on usability but
hiding shutdown button is really great usability violation and they
thankfully realized that and changed.

>> Finally, tell my why should I run terminal just to power of my
>> computer? Maybe you propose that I install and run chain of 10 other
>> apps to shutdown the computer? LOL
>>

>> 3. if you use a terminal: "poweroff" works there
> ER: "if"? That used to mean something..

Yep, you're right. My mistake.

> What I'm suggesting is that you move to Windows/Mac if no DE in Linux
> works for you. I'm sure you won't fork a DE to customize for yourself if
> you can't install an extension or use alt. LOL.

I love that king of argument. If someone criticize something related to
apps functionality, he is told to move to Windows or Mac. This doesn't
solve any problem and doesn't stimulate any improvements. Just because I
don't like one small issue doesn't mean I'm not happy with GNOME/Linux
etc. Be more prudent.

I wold not fork anything because this problem is not worth of doing this
and I don't see any benefits even for myself and fun of doing it. But
don't laugh prematurely because open source have seen forks because of
disagreements in devel camps.

Mateusz Marzantowicz