Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 13:07:41 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 12:50 +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> On 14.06.2012 11:32, Ankur Sinha wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 09:46 +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> > > You must be kidding or you are a masochist. It is idiotic to force
> > > users to know the magical commands to turn off the computer! On my
> > > desktop, yes - I can hold <Alt> and even 10 other keys only to change
> > > menu item and power off. But it's really annoying on laptops when I
> > > have to quickly switch them off and I do this 3 or 4 times a day. I do
> > > not have to mention that it isn't written anywhere (besides the GNOME
> > > docs maybe) so users get frustrated when they search for "power off"
> > > button. It's very basic functionality and it shouldn't be hidden from
> > > anyone nor should require additional steps from the user.
> >
> > Neither am I kidding, nor am I a masochist. I just don't like random
> > folks venting on mailing lists. If you haven't learnt yet, venting does
> > nothing. It doesn't bring any changes. All it does is waste infra.
>
> As you already know it does. This stupidity in GNOME is changed in
> next releases so each voice from frustrated users is important. It is
> the way wrong things can be heard and repaired.

I'll repeat. It was not because of the venting on this list. They do not
monitor this list.

> > Like N number of people have already written: Install the extension, no
> > more alt required. From F18, you'll have your poweroff back. In the
> > meantime, if alt is too much, and installing an extension one time is
> > too much, use something else. Move to another DE.
> >

> I can install 100 extensions, I can even write them myself. But do I
> really have to, just to be able to power off my computer? It's not an
> advanced and uncommon functionality for Linux power users - it is a
> core feature of every DE to let their users power off the computer
> without thinking much how to do it. GNOME puts a lot of stress on
> usability but hiding shutdown button is really great usability
> violation and they thankfully realized that and changed.

Yes. So, what is the discussion about? The current issue has a solution,
and the issue has been fixed for the future release.

> > > Finally, tell my why should I run terminal just to power of my
> > > computer? Maybe you propose that I install and run chain of 10 other
> > > apps to shutdown the computer? LOL
> > >

> > > 3. if you use a terminal: "poweroff" works there
> > ER: "if"? That used to mean something..
>
> Yep, you're right. My mistake.
>
> > What I'm suggesting is that you move to Windows/Mac if no DE in Linux
> > works for you. I'm sure you won't fork a DE to customize for yourself if
> > you can't install an extension or use alt. LOL.
> >

> I love that king of argument. If someone criticize something related
> to apps functionality, he is told to move to Windows or Mac. This
> doesn't solve any problem and doesn't stimulate any improvements. Just
> because I don't like one small issue doesn't mean I'm not happy with
> GNOME/Linux etc. Be more prudent.

It was a tongue in cheek response. Of course I don't want you to move to
windows or mac. What I'm saying is, there was an issue (it's been around
for ages), a solution is provided, the issue is fixed. Need there be any
more discussion over this?

--
Thanks,
Warm regards,