OT: Routers, DD-WRT -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 14 14:23:47 UTC 2012

    This is probably off topic but then most of us need routers. I've
    run three different routers in as many months, all running some
    version of DD-WRT, none without problems. My experience has been
    that the manufacturers software works but doesn't have some of the
    functions I want that DD-WRT has. However some of those functions
    don't work in DD-WRT either.

    Two items I can't get to work are logging and saving the log
    information, and filtering access restrictions. Denial of access
    appears to work but not the filter function.

    I've had this trouble with two Cisco E3000 "wireless" routers which
    in addition to that problem fail periodically and have to have the
    ac power switched on and off. That causes complaints from other
    family members. I just bought a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Which has a
    different version of DD-WRT installed "out of the box." It seems to
    be running reliably, for the last 48 hours anyway, but I still can
    not get the logging or access restrictions filtered to work.

    My question is has anyone else had success with these things or is
    it just me?

    I'm asking on this list since I know the quality of responses, if
    any, is better than the alternatives.

    Thanks,

    Bob

.