Authorization failed: Failed to obtain authentication

Rich Emberson emberson.rich at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:04:38 UTC 2012

About a week ago I updated my version of fedora16 on both my
laptop and server. After that update, every 5 minutes I would
get a Notification popup stating:
Authorization failed
with reason:
Failed to obtain authentication

At the time I did not do anything figuring that it might be
some bug in fedora16 and since I was about to upgrade to
fedora17 I'd wait till I did that.

Well, over the weekend I upgraded to fedora17 and I still
get the same notification popups. They are correlated with
the /var/log/messages file recording:

Jun  5 15:43:56 olympia dbus-daemon[730]: dbus[730]: [system] Activating
service name='org.freedesktop.PackageKit' (using servicehelper)
Jun  5 15:43:56 olympia dbus[730]: [system] Activating service
name='org.freedesktop.PackageKit' (using servicehelper)
Jun  5 15:43:56 olympia dbus-daemon[730]: dbus[730]: [system] Successfully
activated service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit'
Jun  5 15:43:56 olympia dbus[730]: [system] Successfully activated service
'org.freedesktop.PackageKit'

So, how can I get rid of whatever is causing the popup?

Thanks

Richard