DNS resolver configuration

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Thu Jun 14 22:56:36 UTC 2012

On 15.06.2012 00:37, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/15/2012 05:45 AM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>> I have noticed a strange (for me) behavior of dns resolver in Fedora 17.
>> If the domain name being resolved simply doesn't exists I'm provided
>> with my IP address instead of an error. It behaves like when the search
>> option is present in /etc/resolv.conf but it isn't. I suspect that it
>> was added by some other script but I can't find where and how to disable
>> it. I suspected my dns forwarder for a while but on Debian box in the
>> same network everything works as expected - I get an error when domain
>> name does not exist.
>>
>> I have Network Manager disabled and have static IP configuration done by
>> network service. Is there any way to change this dns resolution settings?
>>
> You need to provide a bit more information.....
>
> What is the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf?
>
> What is the output of "dig furdishcamp.com" and "host furdishcamp.com"

Ok, here you are:

1) $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.1

2) $ dig furdishcamp.com

; <<>> DiG 9.9.1-P1-RedHat-9.9.1-2.P1.fc17 <<>> furdishcamp.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;furdishcamp.com.        IN    A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com.            900    IN    SOA    a.gtld-servers.net.
nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1339713695 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 41 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Jun 15 00:41:55 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 106

3) $ host furdishcamp.com
Host furdishcamp.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

When I do ping I get:
$ ping furdishcamp.com
PING furdishcamp.my.domain.here (x.y.z.9) 56(84) bytes of data.

This happens with Firefox too which is the most annoying for me because
I drop to my personal web server every time the domain is not found. I'd
prefer to see an error instead.

It looks like search option in resolver is enabled somewhere or for some
apps.

192.168.1.1 is my router with NAT and DNS. I only found this dns issue
only on Fedora boxes so far.

Mateusz Marzantowicz