Power-off stupidity remains in Gnome 3 (Was: Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17)

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Jun 14 23:59:35 UTC 2012

On 06/14/2012 04:43 PM, Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan wrote:
> * to keep Gnome shell as an option but no longer make it the default;

Given the choice, this is the option I'd pick.  Of course, if Fedora
stopped using Gnome shell as the default, we'd probably have to pick a
different one.  Either that, or force the user to pick at least one DE
at install time. (If doing a full install; if you're using a LiveCD, you
get whatever DE it has.)  This step should also provide the user with at
least a little idea of what each selection provides to help beginners
make an informed choice, and therein lies a major problem: getting
honest, neutral, objective descriptions for each possibility that
include both the advantages and disadvantages of each.  If nothing else,
they'd have to include hard disk, RAM and graphics requirements so that
you can judge whether or not your computer has what it takes to run each
DE properly, and what the consequences are of trying to use it when your
hardware is, at best, borderline.