DNS resolver configuration

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Fri Jun 15 07:54:38 UTC 2012

On 15.06.2012 03:59, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/15/2012 08:05 AM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>> Nothings changed. I'm pretty much sure right now that some app or script
>> is silently messing with resolvers configuration. It's exactly the
>> behavior of /etc/resolve.conf with search opt configured but I have only
>> single line there!
> Well, it certainly is a "local" issue since none of my system exhibit that behavior.
>
> If something comes to mind about how to track the problem I'll let you know....
>
> Oh....  one last question...
>
> If you add a trailing dot to the domain name does that make a difference?
>
> ping furdishcamp.com.

Thanks for your interest. I'm confused more and more now.

I've installed Wireshark to see what's going on behind the scene and
here is a brief info of DNS related packets:

1) My IP -> router: standard query A <wrong domain name>
2) router -> My IP: standard query response, No such name
3) My IP -> router: standard query A <wrong domain name>.<my domain
added here>

It looks like resolver is trying to give me the result very hard. Now
I've no idea how to fix this because I already have /etc/resolv.conf
containing the single nameserver line.

With trailing dot it stops after step 2 - the expected result.

It happens on two Fedora 17 boxes, one managed by Network Manager and
second with network service.

Mateusz Marzantowicz