OT: Routers, DD-WRT -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Jun 15 13:23:49 UTC 2012

On 14/06/12 12:33, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:12:18 -0400,
>   "Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>>   I've looked at OpenWRT via googling a few times but was never able
>>   to decide where to start. I guess I was looking for something I
>>   could download and install in a specific router model. Perhaps my
>>   approach was wrong? I will have another look there though. Thanks
>> Bruno,
>
> They have images you can download for various hardware. There is both
> the last release (backfire 10.3.1) and snapshots (if you want a recent
> kernel).
> It looks like you want to start reading here:
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300h

    That's interesting Bruno, but I would prefer to leave the new
    Buffalo router alone since it is already doing some of what I want
    with DD-WRT. I'd like to experiment with the Cisco E3000 units,
    however I don't see those listed in their hardware list but I find
    it hard to believe no one has tried them.

    I subscribed to the mail list and made an inquiry, the activity
    appears to be low so I'll give it a few days and see what response I
    get. If none I'll see if I can muddle though, all it costs is time.

    As I've said before, we have limited usage on this Viasat satellite
    system and I am constantly trying to manage six regular users. I
    never have enough data, would like to know who used what when, etc.
    The OEM router software never tells me enough.

    Thanks,

    Bob
    .

--