Power-off stupidity remains in Gnome 3 (Was: Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17)

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 13:52:49 UTC 2012

--- On Fri, 6/15/12, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Power-off stupidity remains in Gnome 3 (Was: Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17)
> To: "Community support for Fedora users" <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Friday, June 15, 2012, 4:32 AM
> On 15 June 2012 00:43, Daniel Kian Mc
> Kiernan
> <FedoraProject at oeconomist.com>
> wrote:
> > Again, this being the Fedora userlist, it isn't the
> place to agitate to get
> > Gnome fixed.  The relevant choice for Fedora as such,
> concerning the user
> > shell, is amongst these:
> >
> >  * to keep Gnome shell as the default user shell;
> >  * to keep Gnome shell as an option but no longer make
> it the default;
> >  * to cease to provide Gnome shell with the
> distribution.
> >
> > If there is no effective place for users to try to get
> Gnome shell fixed,
> > that may say something about which choice should be
> made for Fedora.  But
> > people who have already settled on the first of these
> options, yet are
> > dissatisfied with that shell, shouldn't be using this
> list to try to get
> > that shell modified.
> >

> I'm not actually entirely convinced. I do have a bugzilla
> account on
> Gnome, I can go and email the list there. However, the model
> where I
> decide (me and a few thousand other people) that I don't
> like one
> particular minor feature of Gnome and should go to their
> mailing list,
> sign up to send one email moaning about it and never show up
> again
> doesn't strike me as the best method. Fedora, it has been
> pointed out,
> is the distro that pushes new gnome. If the Fedora
> maintainers have a
> good relationship with gnome then perhaps they can more
> productively
> pass on the message 'actually our users have a big problem
> with this,
> please reconsider' than a horde of Fedora users descending
> on the
> gnome development list. Especially since the gnome people do
> sometimes
> seem to think individual users opinions a bit irrelevant.
>
> This list is a good place to discuss and say 'this works
> well on
> Fedora' or 'this doesn't work well on Fedora'. If there's no
> effective
> place to try and get Fedora fixed...
>
> --

The folks that may complain and then and maybe then something could get done is the folks buying RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux).  These folks are the ones that pay for the software, they have more say :(

We are guinea pigs and whether we nag, cry, complain, rant, ..., etc.; some developers may notice, but ultimately it is not in our hands to do anything.  Are we gonna go out there in a massive protest we want shutdown natively in GNOME, we want shutdown in GNOME without alt, ..., etc?  seems unlikely.  Now Mr. Obama may lock us up for disturbing the peace and detain us indefinitely using NDAA :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Authorization_Act_for_Fiscal_Year_2012

http://www.aclu.org/blog/tag/NDAA

Regards,

Antonio