nouveau driver not working for ancient Dell D800

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 16:16:42 UTC 2012

On 06/15/2012 10:50 AM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have an ancient D800 with a mobililty geared Geforce 4 video card.
>
> The laptop is mostly useless, but since it's still working and browsing
> the net on it is OK, I wanted to install F17 on it.
>
> In went F17, out went the video. :( The nouveau driver gave me a screen
> full of artifacts and a block for a cursor.  Large sections of the
> screen were unreadable.
>
> I tried to use the proprietary legacy drivers from Nvidia, but the
> installer bombs out.  It used to work on F15 until a kernel update broke
> it.  Something changed and that change made it all the way to F17's
> kernels.
>
> Does anyone know why the nouveau driver isn't working for me?  Are there
> any workarounds?
>
> I'd also appreciate hearing about any workaround's for the proprietary
> installer error, if any.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranbir

try setting nouveau.noaccel=1 on your linux line in your grub/grub2 config.  That's the only way it will work for me.

--

Regards,

------------------------
Kevin Martin
NetFuel, Inc.
mailto: kevinm at netfuel.com
mailto: tech-support at netfuel.com
U.S.). 312.698.9879
U.K.) 208.150.3609
U.S. Alternate). 847.231.3589
FAX) 866.654.3341

For access to our Software and Documentation
please login or register for access at:

http://www.netfuel.com