Power-off stupidity remains in Gnome 3

Jayson Rowe jayson.rowe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 17:25:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I
<eoconnor25 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just tried the yum install, AND the link given, when I tried yu,m it said
> it couldn;t find the repository at .../fedora.gimp, and when I went to the
> link there's a banner at the top of my browser saying that I'd have to
> update to the latest version of Gnome3, my question is, I'm running Fedora
> 15, and when I "Check For Updates: it tells me I'm up-to-date with
> everything.....is there someplace special I have to go to get an update for
> Gnome3?
>

> EGO II
>
> On 06/15/2012 03:35 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>>
>> yum install gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu
>

> --

It looks like you have a custom GIMP repo in your sources that has
perhaps gone offline now. Also, although you may get newer kernels and
some packages (such as Firefox) during the lifespan of a release,
generally GNOME will stay on the version your version of Fedora
shipped with (perhaps getting point releases). Fedora 15 was on 3.0.1
and will not be updated past that. Also, Fedora 15 will EOL 26 June
2012. I would recommend updating to either F16 or F17 before then to
continue to get updates (especially security updates).

Once you update to a newer Fedora release (F16 has 3.2 and F17 has
3.4) you should be able to install extensions from
extensions.gnome.org, although some may no longer work with 3.2 at
this time (I'm not sure).

I hope this helps,

--
-jayson