Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17

Kernel Guardian kernelgardian at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 22:50:30 UTC 2012

On 15 June 2012 20:53, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 06/15/2012 11:37 AM, Kernel Guardian wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately after GNOME 3, many of them have a problems, especially
>> hardware issues, to run latest Fedora versions. Almost half of them give
>> up from Linux because hardware incompatibility or lack of technical
>> skills to make GUI usable and user friendly.
>>

> Not all DEs have the same hardware requirements that Gnome 3 has.  If some
> of your students are having problems with Gnome because they can't afford
> to upgrade their hardware[1] suggest that they do some research, find an
> alternative DE that their current configuration can handle and migrate to
> it.  If any of them seem reluctant to change, the words "extra credit"
> should be all that's needed.  Think of it as a form of Pons Asinorim.
>  Being a bit of a BOFH, my attitude is that those who can't afford to
> upgrade and won't put in the work to find a Linux desktop that works for
> them deserve what they get.
>
> I'm aware of hardware requirements of Gnome 3, but .... Always in the life
from time to time exists one BUT ... In HCI course it would be nice to
present ALL existing DE's in Linux. Discuss about good and bad side in GUI
design, usability .... etc. In other courses some applications doesn't work
same on other DE's. Well it is easier for me and associates to
restructuring course material.
I'm afraid that GNOME DE (gnome-shell) would be kicked out until .... hmmm
.... so-called  bugs, features .... (politically more correct than
"stupidity") settle down.
There is always bright side of the life ... maybe some students become
brave enough to contribute in some other DE.

[1]Just for the record, my mobo is maxed out at 1GB RAM, although the CPU