I get no session option in F17

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 15 22:59:09 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 12:55 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 23:32 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:18:05 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >
> > > In F16 once I enter my login name I get a session button but in on my
> > > F17 machine I do not. I have installed the groups XFCE Software
> > > Development and xfce but no session choice button appears. How can this
> > > be fixed?
> >
> > Can't reproduce. With F17 x86_64 running GNOME Shell, I ran the following
> > in a terminal after becoming superuser root:
> >
> >   # yum -y group install Xfce
> >
> > Then I logged out, entered my user name, and the "> Session" box appeared
> > and contained XFCE in addition to GNOME and Openbox. Since then I've logged
> > in again, ran "yum history undo 28" to uninstall the Xfce group packages.
> >
> I found your message amusing and informative.
> I ran the command: yum groupinstall "xfce"
> You ran the command: yum -y group install Xfce
>
> Now one question would be why did you use the yum argument: group
> install when the man page says the argument is groupinstall.
> The groups name is xfce but you used Xfce
>
> Why did you think your command would work? Now for the amusing part. I
> executed your form of the command and magically I now have a entry for
> xfce in the session window.
Ok, I made a mistake. Currently yum supports both groupinstall and group
install. It is my impression this is a recent change in the yum syntax.
However the group is still called xfce and Linux us supposed to be case
sensitive with file names.

Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22
million bugs!
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net