Power-off stupidity remains in Gnome 3

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Jun 16 11:46:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:25:44 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 06/15/2012 10:20 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Probably by arguing that 99.99% of users who don't actually care won't
> > be part of the noise. Which I think is a fair point.
>
> So, what you're saying is, Gnome 3 is being developed for people who
> don't care what the devs do and will accept any changes they feel like
> making?

No it's being developed by a bunch of people based upon what they know,
what they believe, the values of that community and the external evidence
they see.

One problem with people jumping up and down about specific little trivia
is that if you look generically at the evidence for such things its the
0.00001% making all the noise. The rest who like it, don't care, don't
like it but don't care too much and don't like it but install the
extension, don't bother ranting on mailing lists.

Gnome certainly has a rather insular and siege mentality "with us or the
enemy" mentality in places but that's a different issue.

All desktops have silly corner cases some people rant about and most
people just forget about with use. Things like dragging disks to the
trash can to eject them on MacOS, using the "Start" menu to stop the
computer in Windows and so on.

Alan