protip: Postfix no longer forces installation of sasl2 plain libraries

Julian C. Dunn lists at aquezada.com
Sun Jun 17 02:56:24 UTC 2012

Thought this info might be useful to anyone else installing F17 from scratch and trying to port old Postfix configs.

It seems that installing Postfix does not, by default, install cyrus-sasl-plain. This means that AUTH LOGIN PLAIN mechanism won't work out of the box when using Postfix as a client.

I had:

smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous

and kept getting

"SASL authentication failure: No worthy mechs found"

which made no sense to me. I finally discovered liblogin.so and libplain.so missing from /usr/lib64/sasl2. As I said before, installing the cyrus-sasl-plain RPM manually fixed the problem.

- Julian

--
Julian C. Dunn <jdunn at aquezada.com>
Systems Engineer, Project Leader, Writer