Debugging a system freeze?

Christopher Svanefalk christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 06:40:13 UTC 2012

Recently I have been having problems with my machine completely freezing up
seemingly randomly. The display freezes in its current frame, and all I/O
is completely unresponsive. It is not possible to SSH into it at this stage
(ssh fails with a Host Unreachable error). The only remedy is a manual
reset.

I was wondering how I could go about trying to figure out what is going on?
What log files can I look at to figure out what happened just before the
reset etc? Would be grateful for any help.

My specs are the following:

Fedora 17 standard desktop version, completely updated as of June 17, 2012.

i7-3930K clocked at 4.2Ghz with 1.240 vcore (stable)
Gigabyte X79-UD7
Nvidia GTX285 (main suspect, since it is provably broken. However, I have
not had these problems earlier)
SATA HDD from Seagate.

--
Best,