Debugging a system freeze?

Jeff Gipson jeffagipson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 12:04:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 01:44:47PM +0200, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
>Problem has been solved for the record - followed a recommendation and
>notched vcore up to 1.280, misread one of the original graphs.
>
>--
>Best,
>
>Christopher Svanefalk

	### End of Message from Christopher Svanefalk ###

To address your (now moot) request, the Kernel ring buffer is probably
the first place I would go, if I suspected a hardware or hardware driver
issue. You can see the current contents of the ring buffer by running
the 'dmesg' command, or you can see more history is /var/log/messages
for general logs.

I should note from experience, that often when there's an obsure or
intermittant hardware problem sometimes the problem manifests itself
different ways each time, or side effects of the problem can misinform
the troubleshooting process. In an environment where you have >1
identical pieces of hardware with the same (Exact Same) Kernel version,
Kernel modules, and drivers, If one system had this problem and the
other didn't, then I would suspect either the h/w or environment first.
If I could reproduce the problem on both systems, then I would suspect
s/w, but not rule out the possibility of environment or h/w design flaw.

HTH
--
×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-× 	Rule of Economy: Programmer time is expensive;
   Jeffrey A. Gipson   	conserve it in preference to machine time.