Debugging a system freeze?

Christopher Svanefalk christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 16:13:34 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz <
mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:

>  On 17.06.2012 08:40, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
>
> Recently I have been having problems with my machine completely freezing up
> seemingly randomly. The display freezes in its current frame, and all I/O
> is completely unresponsive. It is not possible to SSH into it at this stage
> (ssh fails with a Host Unreachable error). The only remedy is a manual
> reset.
>
> I was wondering how I could go about trying to figure out what is going on?
> What log files can I look at to figure out what happened just before the
> reset etc? Would be grateful for any help.
>
> My specs are the following:
>
> Fedora 17 standard desktop version, completely updated as of June 17, 2012.
>
> i7-3930K clocked at 4.2Ghz with 1.240 vcore (stable)
> Gigabyte X79-UD7
> Nvidia GTX285 (main suspect, since it is provably broken. However, I have
> not had these problems earlier)
> SATA HDD from Seagate.
>

> I strongly recommend that you check your RAM with memtest or something
> similar both normal and overclocked. Symptoms might be similar to that
> described by you. You'll then eliminate one piece of hardware.
>

> Mateusz Marzantowicz
>

> --

Hey Mateusz, I have run several passes of memtest with no problem, and the
memory has not been clocked, so I don't think that is the culprit. I will
wait until it happens again and try out the guides posted above.

--
Best,

Christopher Svanefalk