unboot vs my DVD burner

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Jun 18 18:39:48 UTC 2012

I tried to burn a F17 install DVD and thought that I had failed.
The result would not mount and if I asked right I was told no medium in drive.
Forgetting it was there, I did a reboot.
The BIOS found it with apparently no trouble.
Anaconda started, I pushed the eject button and then the reset button.
The same drive can read a DVD written by a stand-alone burner
and a DVD previously written by the same burner.
Any idea what gives or what I should look for?

[hennebry at localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686.PAE #1 SMP Wed Nov 23
13:39:51 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[hennebry at localhost ~]$
The motherboard is a D865GBF.
The burner is a Toshiba SDR5112.

Yes, I know F14 is EOL.
I've managed to install F16 and F17,
but I haven't gotten either of them to work.
That is why I mentioned the motherboard without prompting.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily