Grub Error - Boot failure

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 18 19:32:29 UTC 2012

Hello All,

My F16 box which has given me years of faithful service has unexpectedly
failed to boot. I made no configuration changes or updates yesterday and
the system worked fine. Today the system fails to boot with the error:

error: no such device: 53d08854-7c6d-49dc-aeec-6a5d3e462682.

Entering rescue mode...

Grub>

The little Googling I have been able to do on my phone brings up examples
of that error when people have upgraded or attempted to upgrade over an
existing system. Mine has come out of the blue to a working system.

I am very nervous of the risk of causing more damage by incautious
tinkering (my usual method of trying to fix problems) so I thought I would
ask here before I tried anything.

Can anyone guide me through troubleshooting and hopfully fixing this
without hosing my system?

Thanks in advance

Mark