Fedora 17

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jun 19 12:26:49 UTC 2012

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> I've seen a lot of complaints about Gnome 3.
>> I don't recall seeing anything about Fedora 17.
>>
>> Why don't you tell me your worst problem with F-17,
>> so I can judge how much to worry about it?
>>
> That is like tell me what you don't like about car-X but ignore all the
> console options on the dashboard.

As I understood it, the discussion was about _problems_ with Fedora-17,
not what people like or don't like about it.

If someone says to me, "The new Ford has lots of problems.
The brake doesn't work," I would react in a very different way to
"The new Ford has lots of problems. There is no ash-tray."

Personally, I am using Fedora-17/KDE on a number of machines,
and I have encountered no major or even minor problem.

Regarding problems with GNOME, I just wish
Fedora would give an honest, straightforward choice of desktop environment.
(I feel the same about the partition setup.)
I feel I am almost being tricked into using GNOME,
since one has to jump through a moderately complicated series of hoops
to avoid it.

I would like to be asked a simple question during installation:
"Which desktop environment do you want to use?
(a) GNOME (our recommendation), (b) KDE, (c) ..."

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net