F17 display problem

Mark Haney markh at abemblem.com
Tue Jun 19 15:25:16 UTC 2012

I just installed F17 on my new 8-core AMD Phenom II server. The problem
I had after rebooting is a display that is shifted to the right by 2/3s
the width of the display.  Like this:

							[markh at august
us ~]$

I did a little googling last night and it appears the problem is due to
the video card I have.  It's a PCEe x16 Radeon card with DVI/HDMI/VGA
outputs.  According to what I read xorg is seeing and configuring those
outputs and screwing up the display in the process.  The fix was to
disable those unused outputs and all should be well.

My question is, if xorg.conf is dynamically generated every time you
boot, how on earth can I keep the displays disabled across boots?

--

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant
markh at abemblem.com
Linux marius.homelinux 3.3.8-1.fc16.x86_64 GNU/Linux