dracut fails to gen initramfs

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 16:12:57 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 06:29 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 09:05 PM, JD wrote:
>> On 06/18/2012 11:07 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> rpm -q hmaccalc
>> # rpm -q hmaccalc
>> hmaccalc-0.9.12-2.fc15.i686
>>
> OK.....
>
> Well to get back to the question at hand....   You said...
>
> # dracut -f /boot/initramfs-3.3.8-1.img 3.3.8-1.fc16.i686
> F: Failed to install /usr/lib64/hmaccalc/sha512hmac.hmac
>
> So, why does dracut need to write anything in /usr/lib64?
> I am running 32 bit system:
> # uname -r
> 3.3.7-1.fc16.i686
>
> First, I don't believe that dracut is trying to write anything to /usr/lib64.  It is
> trying, for some reason, to collect files from /usr/lib64 to place in the initramfs
> image.
>
> Since you said you are running a 32 bit system, that directory should not exist.  I
> asked you to do the rpm command in the off chance that somehow a 64 bit rpm had been
> installed.
>
> Do you actually have a /usr/lib64 ?
>
> For some reason you seem to have a knack for damaging your system in weird ways as
> well as installing packages for which you have no known use.

Ed, my F16 was a fresh install - Full install!
I did not ever create that frikin' directory.
I have no idea what rpm created it. I never
installed 64bit rpms manually.
The reason I was trying to create the initramfs
is because someone commented on the bug
(bugzilla.redhat.com) that the problem (panic
of kernel 3.3.8-1 at boot) may be caused by my
lack of the initrd line in the menu of that kernel
in grub.cfg. There was NO initramfs for 3.3.8-1
in /boot. So, I was trying to create one, in order
for the initrd line (which I was going to manually
add) would make the kernel successfully boot.
However, i read in another fedora forum, a user
saying that he does not have the initramfs for the
kernel he is booting, and it boots just fine.