Curious About Updating.....

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Jun 19 18:41:08 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 09:26 AM, Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I wrote:
> WOW!.....thanks Rick!.....I got all KINDS of info about my laptop
> now!...Here's what I got:
>
> Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
> System Information
> Manufacturer: Gateway
> Product Name: T-6321
> Version: 89.22
> Serial Number: N1B85 910 16173
> UUID: 54726974-6F6E-2D2D-2D2D-0003254BA1D7
> Wake-up Type: Power Switch
> SKU Number: Not Specified
> Family: Not Specified
>
> Just wondering if it's as crucial to keep upgrading from version to
> verson, or maybe there's some kind of "automatic updater"?.....not
> sure....thanks again for your help!

Glad to help. "lspci" and "lsusb" are also useful tools. Check the man
pages for details on use. Details on the processor(s) can be had by
"cat /proc/cpuinfo" as well.

You might check the Gateway website and see if there's a BIOS update if
the machine is old. Also look for video and disk controller BIOS
updates...sometimes they package them separately.

The first stanza in the dmidecode output should show you the BIOS
revision level you have now. An updated BIOS can solve a lot of
flakiness in a machine.

> On 06/19/2012 12:19 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 06/19/2012 07:31 AM, Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I wrote:
>>> Hello all ok so here's my question, and bear in mind this isn't a
>>> pressing matter as I have secondary and tertiary computers.
>>>
>>> I have a laptop Gateway T-Series 3200...(I THINK! since there's no way
>>> of knowing cuz' there's no labels and the System only gives me "generic"
>>> info)
>>> 250GB Hard drive
>>> Fedora 15
>>> Kernel Info: 2.6.43.8-1.fc15.i686 #1 SMP Mon Jun 4 20:28:56 UTC 2012
>>> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>>> No special apps or tools installed aside from the usual suspects.
>>> (Firefox, LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Pidgin)
>>
>> Try running "dmidecode" as root. In the second stanza returned you
>> should see "System Information" and that should contain your model
>> number and such.
>>
>> Lots of interesting stuff in the dmidecode output.
- A friend said he climbed to the top of Mount Rainier.  My view is  -
-    that if there's no elevator, it must not be that interesting.   -