dracut fails to gen initramfs

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 23:10:12 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 04:05 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/20/2012 12:12 AM, JD wrote:
>> Ed, my F16 was a fresh install - Full install!
>> I did not ever create that frikin' directory.
>> I have no idea what rpm created it. I never
>> installed 64bit rpms manually.
>> The reason I was trying to create the initramfs
>> is because someone commented on the bug
>> (bugzilla.redhat.com) that the problem (panic
>> of kernel 3.3.8-1 at boot) may be caused by my
>> lack of the initrd line in the menu of that kernel
>> in grub.cfg. There was NO initramfs for 3.3.8-1
>> in /boot. So, I was trying to create one, in order
>> for the initrd line (which I was going to manually
>> add) would make the kernel successfully boot.
>> However, i read in another fedora forum, a user
>> saying that he does not have the initramfs for the
>> kernel he is booting, and it boots just fine.
>>
> You mean you chose to install "Everything"?  What made you do that?
>
> I'm just curious at this point....
>
> What is "ls -l /usr/lib64" showing?

It shows nothing, so I deleted it.
When I did a fresh install, yes, from each
category, I installed everything by clicking
on the link in the screen and it takes me to
all the entries in that category, and I select
every single entry - except when it comes
to languages - I do not select them, as english
is the default.
This has never caused any  problems with kernel
installations in the past.
I assume that if any selected packages conflict
with any other, I should have received a warning.
I saw no such warning during installation.